Hello grandchildren,
This note was actually the first one I started writing to you, and that was almost six years ago, just before President Trump began his first run for President. Trump did not invent the term fake news. He just focused on it. As I started to see the anti-Christian bias in the media, entertainment, sports, and news, I felt compelled to talk with you about it and my own views.Today I would like to talk to you a little about bias. Not the bias as we use the term in an electronic circuit, or the bias we find in cloth, or the bias tape we use in sewing. But the bias we as human beings exhibit in almost everything we do. You know that I am biased. I have very strong beliefs in many areas, and I let you know them. And I act on my biases, and I do not try to hide them. Many other people are the same way, having strong beliefs and acting on them, they are biased. And many of these other people do not believe as I do, nor would they make the same decisions I make. So, who is correct? I am not smart enough to tell you that. I would like to say that I know, but the truth is I do not. But if you have the time to talk, I can tell you what I believe and why. That is the best I can do. As you mature and move on to your own life, you need to recognize bias, both in yourself and other people.
Now the bigger issue I want to discuss is the bias people exhibit who are not supposed to be exhibiting bias. At least not in their jobs or official duties. The first example that comes to mind are judges. Judges are to be fair and impartial, interpreting the law as it is written. Look at the recent supreme court decisions to see that this is not the case. Even some of the dissenting judges are amazed at how far the court has departed from being impartial judges. But be not surprised at this; it is not new. In Luke 18:2 there is the story of a judge; “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected men.” Somehow, he got the position of judge and did whatever he wanted. And many secular examples exist in history. Judges are important and we should pray for them, but they are not all fair.
Another example is the news media; TV, radio, newspaper, and internet. These reporters of facts are to be objective, reporting the facts to us the public, so we the public can make our own decisions about local and world affairs. If reporters are presenting their opinion as in an editorial, they are to state such, but often this is not the case. The 2016 election season and President Trump’s entire presidency have been particularly bad about bias in the media. However, there are a lot of issues every day that are presented in a very slanted way on CNN and Fox News, and other media outlets. These biased information sources are easily available and your teachers and professors present them in class as news, but they are actually editorials. Beware, of what you hear and believe only what you can confirm and matches your worldview. Your teachers, like every human being, have their own biases. And to be fair it is hard to present unbiased facts, many people do not realize just how biased they are.
In my humble opinion most of our biases are based on our worldview; what is life, what are we as people here for, why is there war and peace, what do we citizens want in a country, who are citizens? Some of these are political issues, most are religious issues. And I, as a Christian, will be glad to share my thoughts on these issues with you.
However, the biggest bias you must be aware of is your own bias. Try to be objective, think clearly, and try to see the situations you are in clearly. Now, that does not mean joining the crowd. Develop and understand your own worldview. Keep your own convictions and biases. Just be aware of them. Try to use your biases to make informed decisions. Learn who to ask about various subjects. Let me state that your mother is a good start for many subjects. And for your sake, take your time on forming opinions unless you know they are correct, and you have spoken to God about them.
Love Grandpap,
No comments:
Post a Comment