Good day children,
I would like you to read the following four translations of the same scripture today. They express slightly different attitudes, but all share the same message.
1 Timothy 2:1-3
- New King James Version
Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications,
prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all
men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and
peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For
this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our
Savior,
1 Timothy 2:1-3
- 21st Century King James Version
I exhort therefore, first of all, that supplications, prayers,
intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men,2 for kings and
for all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in
all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
1 Timothy 2:1-3
- The Message
1-3 The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every
way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their
governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living
simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to
live.
1 Timothy 2:1-3
- The Passion Translation
Most of all, I’m writing to encourage you to pray with
gratitude to God. Pray for all men with all forms of prayers and requests as
you intercede with intense passion. 2 And pray for every political leader and
representative so that we would be able to live tranquil, undisturbed lives, as
we worship the awe-inspiring God with pure hearts. 3 It is pleasing
to our Savior-God to pray for them.
You
can see from this verse that God does expect Christians to think about and pray
for their government. God expects us to pray
with thankfulness and intensity for our leaders. Politics has been the main news item for the
last couple of years now. In fact, I
started to write these notes just prior to past president Trump’s declaration
that he was going to run for office. I
was concerned about the extreme liberal bias in the press and the career politicians. The results speak for themselves and you are
more than capable of evaluating the current condition of our country.
However,
I am disappointed in myself and many of my Christian friends. 1 Timothy 2:1-3 are favorite verses in the
church, and while I hear a lot of criticism for President Biden, I hear few prayers. We need to pray, as directed, for our leaders;
President, Senators, Representatives, national, local, and judges. Whether we agree with them or not, pray for
them, God cares and, will hold them responsible for their actions and us for
our prayers or lack thereof. God is not
surprised that these people got elected or appointed. He is not so weak that He can not fix our
leaders and country.
So
pick out some of the leaders that represent you, from the local to the
President, and pray for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment